Ethics of Abortion

Forums Home >> Rants >> Ethics of Abortion
Pages: 1
6 Total Posts
Tue, 17 Apr 2012 21:33:51 -0400
I was once a resigned sponsor of pro-choice; I used to believe that it is a woman's choice to take the life of her child and that no one should be able to take that away from her. But now hearing about abortions close to home, in my school, I know understand the gruesomeness and dichotomy of the argument. Is it really ethical to take a human life for one's own selfish benefit?

I don't think abortion should be il-legalized; no, for it is a legitimate and sometimes necessary course of action for many women, including rape victims and women in harsh circumstances. But I think the government should take it upon themselves to regulate abortion as a punishment to those who use it as a cure for their promiscuity (a whole different conversation...)

If I were with a girl who was expecting my child, I don't think I could ever resort to abortion. I would rather raise a child in poverty and destitution than live with the loss of life on my consciousness.

But that's just me.

Black Milk - Personal Blog and Writing Repository

Sun, 22 Apr 2012 23:01:33 -0400
See I'd rather have abortion as a last resort effort - that abortion wouldn't be too much of an issue if proper contraception was used. If people were responsible and were educated, this wouldn't need to be an issue except in minor cases.

I would agree with the "cure for promiscuity" but in many cases this happens to teens who are having sex for the first time and who are uneducated about safe sex and the like. And the sad thing is that in many cases, the girl is forced to deal with the child on her own.

Being forced to raise a child in destitution and poverty... that's a nice sentiment but very harsh, especially for a child. I have no idea how bad poverty can be in the US, but I've seen some pretty bad areas in India. In some cases, what happens to the kids is pretty horrific (think slumdog millionaire. Romanticized, but often a possibility." I'd rather raise a child in a good situation rather than condemning it to a harsh life.

I guess it boils down to what do you consider "life" or a child. I know many Christians believe that life begins at conception. Scientifically that's true, but that "life" is a cell. Similar to the other cells that are destroyed in one's body every day. I don't see it as being a separate entity from the woman until it has been born.

But this conversation is an interesting one, and there's not an easy answer. Just one of life's philosophical conundrums. But really, since I'm a guy, I feel that I should not be able to control what a woman can do with her own body. As the guy, I'm contributing one cell to the reproductive process. The girl is giving a hell of a lot more.
Are you ready to bring the might of the galaxy to bear on the reapers?

Tue, 08 May 2012 06:46:54 -0400
hah, yeah. I would have to agree with dhruvn on that one.
I would rather end that "cells" life than have to raise it in poverty, where it will probably not live anyway. It is surprising to hear of how many people disagree with abortion these days. I mean think about it from the woman's perspective. It's either raise a child in poverty or perhaps on the mother's own with no income, or put an end to it before it even starts. full stop.
In The Land Of Middle-Earth And Wibbly-Wobbly Timey-Wimey Stuff, The Pokemon Of Equestria Rest On The Shoulders Of Some Demon-Hunting Brothers. Their Names: Sherlock Holmes And Ned the Piemaker.

"PaperToast PhD suggests that newspapers have magical fire restoring properties"

Fri, 18 May 2012 23:38:10 -0400
Abortion is a tricky subject I suppose... Not only is it about taking a life but about the women who choses to have it taken.
I have heard stories about women who believe they are murderers because they chose to have an abortion. Some ended there own life in guilt.

I guess it depends on how you were brought up, and how old you are. If you're pregnant at 16 and were brought up to cringe at the idea of such a possibility, than you might head straight for an abortion without stopping to think about it first.
I personally would have no idea what to do if I became with child at such a young age.
**<3 Pokemon, Merlin, Revenge, The Twilight Saga, Once Upon A Time, Photography, The Last Vampire Series, The Inheritance Series, The Iron Fey Series, Death Note <3**

Sat, 19 May 2012 10:14:09 -0400
I could not imagine that any woman would not feel some semblance of grief or guilt for her 'murderous' action. To walk into a place with life in your womb and to leave without it is something very harrowing to me.

Black Milk - Personal Blog and Writing Repository

Sat, 19 May 2012 10:45:28 -0400
It real depends on whether you do consider an unborn zygote, embryo, fetus, or whatever "life", or more specifically "human life."

Like Dhruv said, sperm cells and egg cells and whatnot are technically life as well, so when a man ejaculates, you could technically say he's "murdering" millions of his potential children.

Most people would agree that it's definitely not murder before conception if only because of the implications of making such a claim. Otherwise though, people tend to disagree on when a fertilized egg officially becomes human life.

I personally believe that women should have the right to choose, especially if it's early on in the pregnancy. Whether they "should" feel guilty for aborting or not is another can of worms, but the way I see it, between the combination of the ambiguity of the separation between human life or the potential for human life and the consequences of keeping an unwanted child, I think it's fair to abstain from judging a woman who chooses to abort too harshly. Because in her shoes, I doubt it was likely an easy decision to make.

You can call me Tiff!
I'm the founder of PokeDS.
My favorite Pokemon is Ho-Oh.
Girafarig Dragonair Flygon Articuno Ampharos
Sun, 01 Jul 2012 15:15:09 -0400
Going back to the first post, I do agree that abortion should at least be allowed in certain circumstances, particularly those in which the mother's life is in immediate threat because of the baby. If the mother isn't alive the baby isn't going to be alive either. However it should at least be restricted in cases when the mother was being irresponsible with sexual activity.

But a question that I would like to ask is: is it better to die or to live a life of hardship? It's just avoiding the inevitable. What is the value of life? There are 7 billion other people here on earth and it just makes you feel so insignificant. Why do politicians care about your unborn child but don't care when they are killing and harming the children in other countries through the wars that they wage. It's hypocritical and stupid. It's like giving Celery and celery to starving people. However, all this boils down to your own morals and ethics. It's your own vagina and you can do whatever you like with it.

Edit: Murder. Technically up until birth the baby and mother are one. The baby is incapable of supporting itself, but does though through the umbilical cord. Essentially the mother and baby are one up until birth. Abortion would be more or less the equivalent of cutting off a body part. Is it murder if you chop off a limb? Probably not.

Last edited on Sun, 01 Jul 2012 15:24:46 -0400

"Haven't you heard? The meaning of life is like a celery stick! Celery sticks also leave you hungry for something more... Like the meaning of life." -Tiff

Forums Home >> Rants >> Ethics of Abortion
Pages: 1
6 Total Posts
Quick Reply

© 2017 PokeDS. Pokémon © 1995-2017 Nintendo/ Pokémon. Icons © LED24.
Page generated in 0.0853 seconds.
AboutContactLinkTermsPrivacyHelp
Silver Islands Indigo Plateau The Cave of Dragonflies Clash at the Summit